How to Replace Damaged Roof Shingles
The roof is your home’s first line of defense against nature’s elements so it is more susceptible to damage, especially if you have a shingle roof. This damage can also lead to a number of other issues including leaks, deteriorated insulation, mold growth, and even structural problems. This is why it is important that once you notice damage on your roof shingles, you should fix the problem right away by replacing the damaged area. There are several ways how to replace damaged roof shingles. You can do it on your own if you are experienced enough, or you can also let an expert roofing contractor do the job for you.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss how you can replace damaged roof shingles should you decide to do it on your own. But before we dive into that, let us first discuss what roof shingles are and how to tell if they’re damaged.
What are roof shingles?
Roof shingles are roofing materials used to cover the roof, placed on one another in overlapping patterns. Usually, they are flat or rectangular pieces of asphalt, wood, tile, metal, slate, solar, etc. They are also available in a variety of colors and styles to match your house’s overall look.
What causes damage to roof shingles?
No roof is invincible. No matter how excellent and reliable they look, they will always be susceptible to damage and there are several reasons why. Here are some of them:
- Faulty installation. When the roofing contractor who initially installed your roof did a poor job in installing the shingles or other parts of the roof, it can damage the shingles themselves and cause several other roof issues such as water damage, mold and mildew growth, etc.
- Weather. Keep in mind that although the roof is designed to withstand extreme weather conditions, they are not invincible. Strong winds, heavy rains, or storms can still damage them.
- Old age. Depending on the type of shingle roof you have, they are generally expected to last between 20 to 100 years only. When it’s nearing the end of its lifespan, it’ll start to show signs of wearing out and the roof shingles will also start to warp, curl, or buckle.
How to replace damaged roof shingles?
If you are experienced enough when it comes to roofing and replacing damaged shingles, then here’s a step-by-step process on how you can DIY-fix your damaged roof shingles.
- Look for the damage. The first thing you should do is look for the affected area to determine the cause.
- Remove the damaged shingles. After assessing the damaged area, loosen the shingles and remove the nails holding them.
- Replace the damaged shingles. After removing the damaged shingles, put the new shingles in place. Nail them and tie the middle row of the shingles on them.
- Check other shingles. To ensure you did not miss anything, also assess the condition of other shingles. Heavy rains and strong winds might have loosened them as well. If so, replace them by following the same process mentioned above.
Now, if you are not experienced enough or you are not confident in doing this on your own, it is highly recommended to call an expert roofing contractor and let them handle the job. They have the expertise and experience to properly and efficiently handle how to replace damaged roof shingles.
Storm Group Roofing is an expert in replacing damaged roof shingles!
We are one of the best-reviewed roofing contractors that can handle the job. Whether your home sustained damage due to faulty installation, weather, or old age, trust us to ensure that we can replace them properly and efficiently before they worsen and cause further damage to your property. We know how to replace damaged roof shingles so let us handle the job for you. Call today to set up a free appointment!